{Black & White} Tasty Tuesday

I've got my fantasy kitchen pretty well pegged in my head, but when I see such a stunning example of the always-chic black & white checkered floor, I start to backpedal a bit.

b+w-floors7 via flor
Duo-490pixels
 kitchen via flor blog, recipe and food image via cannelle et vanille

It's a kitchen-look so delicious it makes me want to grab a spoon and dig right in. I think I'll stick with some mini chocolate cakes in equally stunning black and white and continue to mull over my kitchen design options for now.

And just remember, despite the absolutely stunning images above, when you're cooking, your food (nor you for that matter!) have to look beautiful to taste good (but a nice presentation can always help your cause a little!)

Recipe: Cherry, Almond and Chocolate Cake


175 grams almond paste
3 eggs
50 grams butter
90 grams bittersweet chocolate
30 grams flour
2 grams baking powder
cherries, pitted and cut into medium dice

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the almond paste with one egg with the paddle attachment. When this becomes a smooth mixture, add the rest of the eggs and switch to the whip attachment. Whip this for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.

In the meantime, melt the butter and the chocolate over a double boiler. When the eggs have become thick and make a ribbon, turn the machine to low and add the melted chocolate and butter. Mix until combined.

Add the flour and baking powder and mix. Fold in the pieces of cherry.

Refrigerate the batter for a couple of hours. Pipe into molds (half way up) and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. When the cake has almost set completely, place a whole cherry with its stem on top, let the cake finish baking for another 3 minutes or so.