An Octopus' Garden

While we've all seen many items from the sea gracing our home decor (coral, starfish, seashells, urchins...), I've noticed a somewhat strange creature making waves as of late. The octopus is emerging, people, and I'll be honest - I'm not sure what I think of it.

Last week I popped into one of my favorite shops on Abbot Kinney, Plantation to see what was new, and was delighted by the gorgeous black, white and yellow room set up in their upstairs space. Isn't it fun?



And on one of the little bedside tables, this creature caught my eye.



And, actually I really liked it as a little accent piece in this room. It was something new and unexpected, and I really loved the black, even though it is available in other colors.

Then today I was reading my Daily Candy email and saw this awesome necklace from Jami Rodriguez.



This is an amazing piece - it looks like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean.

So, I started digging a bit more to see if I was crazy or if this eight-legged creature really was becoming a new inspiration for design, and here's what I found!




From Dermond Peterson's Seaside collection comes these beautifully crafted linen pillows - perfect for the beach house!



For some reason, I have a feeling a huge octopus on a cute card might actually be appealing to a guy (more than, say, bunnies, honey bees or cupcakes), so try this one out on your sweetie. From Luxe Paperie.



Forget cuddly teddy bears! For some reason I adore the idea of this soft baby octopus. If you know how to crochet, then you can purchase this pattern from jpolka on Etsy. If you don't, you better find a friend who does. This little guy is super cute.



Not quite as cuddly, but more grown up, is this octopus from skullknockers also on Etsy. I can just seem him propped on a bookshelf, peering out over the living room.



For something a little more subtle, this vase from Bread and Badger adds a nice etched design to your octopus curio.

So what's the verdict? I suppose this dark creature from the depths of the sea isn't SO bad as a decorative motif... but we'll see how long it lasts!