Happy (Decorating) Weekend!

This weekend I'll be diving into Christmas card writing, more tree decorating, another holiday party and the last of the gift shopping. Whew! 'Tis the season I suppose!

I've been thinking of taking a new direction with my own decor this year, so I thought I'd share some less traditional holiday themes I've been playing with...

christmas tree and ornaments via country living, ribbons via martha

A very colorful Christmas! I like how the tree uses muted tones of the colors in the packages - a perfect way to bring in color without going over board and adding a vintage touch. I'd love using colorful satin ribbons to hang sparkly snowflakes around the house as well!

dishes from horchow, glass urns and floral arrangement via michelle rago, pheasant placemats from z gallerie.

If you're a regular around here, then you know I've been somewhat obsessed with the whole chocolate brown and bright blue combo. What a perfect wintery setting this makes, with a dash of sparkling white and great textures! It would be gorgeous for any holiday celebrations.

citrus trees via domino, paper decor from craft or party stores, votives by present time

Every year around the holidays my family buys boxes and boxes of tangerines, which is why somehow citrus makes sense to me in the middle of the winter. I'd love to try this theme - think how fresh the house would smell with orange trees for decor! This one is a work in progress... but maybe next year?

What will you all be up to this weekend? And how many of you have opted for non-traditional decor this year?