One Last Christmas Wish...

As we wrap up our holiday shopping and head into a new year with high hopes for better days ahead, I have to ask for one last thing to top off my wishlist... and you, my dear readers, are the only ones who can grant it. (Are you comfy? Grab some cocoa... this one is a bit long, but worth the read...)

Let's be honest, friends, 2008 was... well, bumpy to say the least. The economy tanked. And then it tanked some more. And to top it all off, we've got snow storms across the country stopping people from getting to their favorite local spots to actually finally spend a little money. So you can guess where these wishes are going...

My family owns a restaurant. Every night, my dad comes home and we ask, tentatively... "How was it?" Tonight, he said, "Not so good." Which tears my heart up. Because one of these nights I'm afraid he'll say, "I can't do this anymore," and I might die. Our family's life has revolved around this restaurant - around the food and family, and the regulars whose lives we've become a part of. So...

Christmas Wish #1: If you live in Seattle, come eat at my dad's restaurant. It's called Rialto and it's tucked into a cute area of Fremont where he serves the most fabulously affordable authentic Italian food you'll ever dine on. He himself uses all local vendors for his meats, coffee and ingredients, and makes the pasta in house, so I suppose a little karma isn't too much to ask for? Oh, and this year he's even doing a special New Years Menu! (I recommend the Salmon Ravioli in a Pesto Cream Sauce. YUM.)

As for me, well, I take after my father. Just decided to pack up and start my own company in October, despite it all. And, while the doors to my dream store may not be opening soon, I did manage to find my first few clients (Or rather, they found me!) and loved every second I spent designing those weddings, holiday tabletops and living rooms. With that said...

Christmas Wish #2: Just keep me in mind. The next time a friend says, "I know what I want my wedding to look like, but I don't know where to start." Or, "I need to totally redo my house, but I don't want to pay someone else to do it... just to design it." That's what I do. Of course, I can do it all, but providing creative direction to enable people to achieve their own look and style... it's so fun. And, I can do it from anywhere. So tell 'em to come to me.

And now for the story of Gypsy Tinker and the Christmas Senorita (which is actually where the idea for this whole post started).

Once upon a time a stylish little gal (that's me kids) was shopping on Etsy when she stumbled up on the sweetest little Senorita she ever did see (yep, that's her above). Packaged with bits of fringe, sparkle and ribbon, the girl just couldn't resist the purchase. So, click click click she went, and waited in anticipation for the package to arrive from the mysterious Gypsy.

And arrive it did! With a sweet little surprise...

A sweet little lover for her little Senorita! Along with a note of thanks that inspired her so, she decided there was only one thing left to do...

Christmas Wish #3: Shop. So many beautiful stores have shut their doors this year, that I couldn't complete this post without a plea to support the local shops that mean something to you. There are stories behind these doors. Like the Gypsy who thanked me for a small little purchase during hard times. Or Carol, who is my newest sponsor here at coco+kelley whose store will make a gorgeous addition to our little blog family...

And not just because her taste for black Christmas trees has me swooning! But because her shop, Gatherings, is just another example of someone following their dream. And someone who needs the same support we could all use. A little thoughtful purchasing goes a long way these days..

And if you needed incentive, dear readers, she's taking 20% off all purchases from her store if you mention coco+kelley through December. Because in these tight times we could all use a little bargain too!

So there it is, lovelies. My Christmas Wish. To get out and support your local stores. Because the GAP isn't going to fold tomorrow. Because the stores that count are the ones with heart behind them. The ones that have a story to tell, and families to support. So go go go! Spend spend spend (where you can!). And a very very Merry Christmas to you all...

Luv&Ciao,
Cassandra

image credits: john dolan, mikkel vang, rodney smith