FEATHERING THE TABLE

Before we jump into Christmas, I wanted to share with you all my very very simple Thanksgiving table this year...
I had grander visions in my head than I had time to actually pull it the table together, so after a day of frustrating lack of success in finding half the pieces I wanted, I decided to keep things simple and work with what we had.
Grandmother's Haviland china, my parents' simple pale pink cloth napkins and crystal wine glasses, my own tea glasses and simple grey glass votives (from Ikea) - all served me well. I purchased a yard of silk dupioni remnant fabric in a deep greyish-aubergine color and layered it over my linen tablecloth (from Target).
Of course, my favorite pieces were the feathers - purchased at the fabric store as well - in our heirloom silver urn. I had originally thought of doing all black, but I loved the "chocolate" that was more of a plum color and the antique gold. They were all I really needed to make me happy about the table! I also purchased some tulle to tie up the napkins. I thought there should be a soft touch of black somewhere else in the table.
Here's my very dreamy photoshopped shot. Table all a-glow! And a good lesson learned. A) Start planning my table earlier next year and B) Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday to go easy on yourself. Be thankful for what you have instead of wishing for what you have not. I loved the table for what it was - a collection of pieces from generations of our family providing us with a warm table to celebrate with loved ones!