Renovation of Apartment #34 - Inspirations

In the beginning of this week, I introduced you to Erin and her condo in Seattle that she's begun renovating. Her first step was tearing down the wallpaper so she could begin with a blank canvas. Second step? Finding her inspiration. Because she identifies so well with fashion, I asked her to send colors and pieces from the runway as well as rooms to give you all an idea of her style.

That said, I've known this girl since Jr. High and I still couldn't completely define her. She's got an obsession with winter coats, which to me translates to her need to have a warm and cozy feel to her rooms, along with a touch of clean lines and maybe a little 'menswear' style? She's completely into the green movement, so a space that's organic with neutrals and nature inspired colors speaks to her senses. And, the girl's got attitude, so there's definitely gotta be a touch of glam. That's my take on her space... I'll let her explain the rest herself!



Thanks to everyone for the great comments and suggestions on my first post. I appreciated the input and the varying opinions. Exactly what I was hoping for, so keep it comin ya’ll!

To help facilitate that, I should probably begin at the beginning: what I want and what I got. Describing my personal style has proven exceedingly difficult. As Cass mentioned, I’ve always been the fashionista. Now I’m swimming in her pool and barely keeping my head above water. But if I must come up with a descriptor for my design aesthetic it would have to be "Sophisticated Modern". I like mid-mod simplicity and clean lines, but with a little sophistication dropped in to add some depth and warmth. I think there needs to be something unique, unexpected and personal in every space.

Here's what I'm going for...



First, I love the idea of taking fashion and translating it into a room. The cream and green suit by Oscar de la Renta on the left is a gorgeous mix of neutrals I love - creams, greys, greens and browns with accents of yellow, gold or silver. I see these gorgeous outfits translated into neutral walls and major furniture with accessories, pillows and lights that pop, shine, or glow.





When it comes to rooms I love they’ve got to have those clean mod lines but with surfaces you actually want to sit, lay or lounge on. I’m drawn to natural and environmentally friendly materials. Green all the way.





But translating the beautiful pics above into something I get to live in everyday is another thing entirely. I pick out shoes, not paint samples. So, the question this week is - what's the color scheme? Because all the rooms are fairly small and run into each other I want to make sure there is some consistency between the two - does anyone have suggestions on doing this without painting all the walls the same color? I'm totally attracted to grey right now, but want to make sure I don't get sick of it (especially living in a city as grey as Seattle!). What are your thoughts?? This week's post was meant to give you a better idea of my taste and style before jumping into the design, but I'm open to any ideas or suggestions you have on color before we start dipping into the paint (eeek!).