GLOBAL STYLE: THE KAKLUGN

In brainstorming my first Global Style, I was torn between inspiration from my local winter climate (in Sydney) and the Northern Hemisphere's hot summer. So I chose to post on an interior design element that to me, is simultaneously appropriate for both seasons: the Swedish fireplace - or "kakelugn!"

While their purpose is to heat the home during cold Scandinavian winters, their unique design certainly keeps these rooms stylish all year long...
The ceramic tiles, tall cylindrical shape, and traditional detailing are enough to warrant my love, and on top of all that they're completely functional. The kakelugn may take longer to heat up than your typical fireplace, but once it does it radiates heat that is much hotter, for much longer, and (bonus!) substantially reduces emissions.
Despite their age (some date back to the 18th century) the crisp white color of these fireplaces keeps them fresh and modern. 
swedish fireplace
Have any of you ever experienced the unique designs of the kakelugn for yourself? I wonder if I can commission one for my living room...