Just Jack

Confession: I have a bit of random obsession with certain British things. Like, how much better is UK Vogue? And when a lovely Brit comes into my store, I talk to them longer just to hear their accent. I love the way they say "brilliant!" instead of "great!", and the vocabulary is just the beginning. I love British names, like Gemma and Kinsey (yes, it's a name!). And I love love love the Union Jack. There's just something so strong and royal about it! But, not bring a Brit myself, I have a hard time flying the flag of another country for no good reason... that is until I saw this Union Jack created by Wary Meyers for a Brooklyn brownstone.





The subtle and natural colors of the wood make it so much more accessible as a design piece, versus the traditional red white and blue. The layers give such great depth and texture, and the custom framing using a simple moulding? Genius. Wary Meyers is one of my favorites for inspiration, actually, and here's why...



Instead of tearing down the moulding, or replacing it with a piece made to fit the original moulding, they painted in the spots where the moulding should be! How quirky and wonderful is that? And then they add details like this...



Disguising what can be an eyesore, and giving visual continuity by extending the paint - including the white detail and two toned grey - over the radiator.

*sigh* how perfectly brilliant :)