The Coco

I have to admit... before I fell in love with Coco... I fell in love with Chanel.


photo by nam thanh

It was my first real perfume - Chanel No. 5. I still wear it every day.



And I am still lusting after the ceramic collection... watch AND ring! Someday...

Then, I started learning about the woman herself. That she picked up the name 'Coco' when she started singing in cafes. That she built her empire with money given to her when she was a mistress to several weathly and prominent men. That she started her business with hats! (Oh, how I love hats!) And then there are the quotes...

How tight should women's clothing be, Coco? "Close enough to show she's a woman; loose enough to show she's a lady!"

What are your thoughts on destiny, Coco? "I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny."

Those two are good, but these are my favorites:

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different."


classic chanel style... love the layers of pearls!

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." (Such quality advice!)


coco lounging in her suite at the ritz, paris. for more on this, visit alkemie's posts on the subject.

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone."


just another fabulous chanel runway show

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." (I can't think of a better way to explain my love for and approach to design in general.)

Most of you already know so much about the fashion legend, that I don't need to explain much more about why she's an inspiration. She invented the Little Black Dress, for God sakes! So let me just share a few more little things with you. My fashion muse, Rachel Bilson is also a Chanel fan. And, it just so happens that my favorite little black dresses of today have been worn by her... to Chanel events. Coincidence? I think not...



I think Coco would have loved the fact that Rachel wore the dress on the left (from the 2007 RTW collection) front to back.

And then there's THIS dress... the first time I spotted on Rachel (and then in the ad) I couldn't help thinking it would be so lovely and whimiscal to get married in!



Considering the amount of inspiration the legendary Coco has brought to thousands of women since opening her little shop in Paris, it's only natural that she would be a part of this blog's namesake, representing my love for fashion, innovation, and class!