From The Office Of: Haute Design

I first discovered Sarah's blog, Haute Design, after she sent me an email and I instantly fell for her sense of style, eye for beautiful images and photos, and unique content. I knew her addition to this week would be an original one, and I was right! Check out some of her picks for what completes her home office.
ist2_5658677-crown-rule-assortment
When creating your home office, it is important to consider a number of factors: What type of room do you work best in? Do you need a clean work space with little clutter, or are you one that needs photos and other loved objects surrounding you in order to inspire your creativity? Take a look at your home. What colors/textures/shapes inspire you? Is there a room or even a single object that gets your mind going? Take something you love and work with it.

Here are a few of my favorite items that I believe are great for any home office; both functional
and aesthetically pleasing:
Job Jackets: I came across this idea via Blueprint magazine, (March/April 2007) and thought they would be the perfect way to visualize work, projects on the go, or even to organize magazine snippets you don’t want to lose. They come in a variety of colors (and will work with most decor) and are simple to hang—just some tacks and a level and you’re done! I recently purchased some online via: mediastreet.com. I am happy with their quality and highly recommend them.

Desk Accessories: Design Within Reach is a fantastic site if you are in the market for modern items for the home and/or office space. They offer a wide range of products with convenience, functionality and above all, simplistic beauty. A large part of creating your ideal office space is purchasing the right tools. Quality pens, filing systems and the like with last you for years to come and save you from many headaches.

Dual Phones: I believe an office is not a true office without a retro phone. But beware, despite their handsome appeal, there’s nothing like modern call display to forewarn you of any unwanted calls. Splurge on the retro (to make calls with) and save on an inexpensive phone with basic call display features. (to receive or deny calls with) This Pottery Barn retro version is beautiful. Go on, be bold. You won’t regret it.

Candles and Flowers: Bright tulips, Gardenias, or fresh grasses with add a bit of life and an organic flair to what can be a cold, more corporate looking space. Personally, I can’t work without a pretty scented candle beside me. The scent and flicker of light allows my mind to dream up new ideas at ease. “Cashmere” by Linnea’s Lights is my current favorite. Each candle has been poured into generous glass holders, ideal for a vase when you’re finished with the candle.

Chalkboard: Have you ever had one of those moments when a great idea hits you but for whatever reason you can’t seem to find piece of paper to get it down? A floor to ceiling chalkboard is the answer. The good news is it’s easy to create. Simply go to your local paint store or Home Depot and purchase chalkboard paint...but be sure to roll out a minimum of two coats for longevity. Paint or add a decorative border if desired—the options are endless!

Great Movie/Music: Beautiful music or a great chick-flick playing in the background makes the time fly (particularly for all those daunting tasks) and can inspire your imagination. My favorite music of the moment is: “Provence: A Romantic Journey”. I have been playing it for months and months and never tire of its intimate orchestral recordings of French classical and popular favorites...

*images via living etc, dwr, amazon and apartment therapy
ist2_5658677-crown-rule-assortment
I knew Sarah would have some original insights! I'll have to check out those Job Jackets, and I do love the idea of a retro phone on the desk! Seems like we're all craving flowers and candles too!