Never Say Never?

Just a week or two ago I was mentioning to a friend how I "don't do" cowhide. Can't stand it. It reminds me of bad kitchy country or attempts at mixing up ultra modern designs. Until this day, an interior containing cowhide has yet to grace the pages of coco+kelley. But... never say never my dears.
kelly wearstler
While I've been questioning some of the choices of Kelly Wearstler these days, this space is not one of them. I really like the mix of objects here. True to her style, there's a touch of glam with a vintage vibe, and she keeps it simple, which is when I like Kelly best. And, the cowhide? Well, I think it's an unexpected choice and a perfect way to compliment all the gold accents in the room - is it working for you?
erik johnson
And then, I stumbled upon this photo by Erik Johnson. Maybe its just because it's a detail shot done so well, but I actually like, again, the unexpected use of cowhide on the antique chair. A great contrast to the modern clean lines of the funiture (and how killer is that lucite table?). Note: Am also loving the red door and the touches of red carried into the living room.

While I'm still not convinced I'll ever make this textile my first choice in an interior design project... I guess these spaces teach us to never rule out the possibility of using materials we may not immediately be drawn to. What about you? Do you have a "never" on your list?