ANOTHER SHADE OF PALE

Last week I highlighted a beautiful editorial that featured washed out nudes and silvery blues, and I'm still loving the idea of this softer palette for spring. While I tend to cringe (and have horrible flashbacks of the 90's) every time I hear 'pastels' and 'trend' in the same sentence, I will say that the sweet, romantic quality of a pale palette has a certain level of appeal...
Back in high school I purchased a periwinkle blue dress that I never wanted to get rid of. I kept it in my closet for years after I was done wearing it simply because I loved the color so much. These heels from Brian Atwood have that same tone, but softer with a hint of grey, making me totally covet them. The gold studs contrast so beautifully! The dreamy quality of the Donna Karan chiffon dress paired with a ridiculous (that is the only way to describe her pieces) Judith Leiber shell clutch is oh so beachy cool.
I know I've been overdoing it with the nudes lately, but I had to feature these fabulous pieces because of the way they're glamorously paired with black, bringing an edgy nightlife-worthy quality to the soft tone. The textured layers of the dress by Camilla and Marc, the slightly coppery tone in the Lanvin clutch (yes that's a fabric covered chain) and the Burberry Prorsum strappy sandal are all worthy of a summer evening on the town.
Oh, dear gray. Aren't we sick of you yet? We should be, really. And yet... there's something so fantastically classic about you, we simply cannot walk away! A perfect spring alternative to the LBD, a Grecian-inspired Stella McCartney gown with amazing detail would make for a fabulous alternative for weddings, while her cork heels would bring the satin sandal down to earth for day dressing. You could pair the rough texture of the Valentino clutch with a t-shirt and jeans, and it would make the ensemble. That's the kind of bag worth investing in.

*all pieces available at net-a-porter