PALETTE INSPIRATION: AQUA + RUST

Unexpected color combinations can be inspired by many things, but I especially love when they come from you!

Not too long ago, I had a reader email me asking for suggestions on how she might work with a room in her rental that she had just moved into with rusty, burgundy walls (which, sadly, she could not paint!). After a few moments of brainstorming I recalled some recent pieces of inspiration that presented the perfect option...
While I rarely choose red to work with in a home, I really do love the way a fresh aqua modernizes what can definitely be a very rustic or retro color. My head is already scheming with ideas for creating fashionable brick fireplaces by flanking them with aqua urns, or bringing old rusty leather chairs to new life with an icy blue throw pillow. And of course, since I happen to own a few aqua pieces, I can now confidently picture bringing them into my fall wardrobe by layering on bits of burgundy.

What do you think? Is it a palette you'd dare to try?

*rooms via celerie kemble and domino, fashion photography by daniel jackson, wrap top by issa, earrings by oscar de la renta, bag by chloe, and scarf by armand diradourian