Is Brighter Really Better?

After posting on the neon trend last week, I searched around for some bright rooms in addition to the ones I thought I had. Turns out that what I had was just a lot of chartreuse because, THIS my friends is what you get when you decorate with neon:


I'm not gonna lie... it's a bit much.

Chartreuse and other bright (but not necessarily neon?) colors, I think I can handle a bit better...

This one might be borderline.


I think I like neon best in smaller doses when it's popped against white and paired with other neutrals...




In the photos above, the use of wood and white space allows the neon colors to truly pop without being completely overwhelming. (Did you also notice that they use those lovely sheepskin pillows that I have in my living room? Mine are a very yummy dark grey.)

Used in the right environment, I think neon can be rather fitting, actually.

Whether it's capturing a more playful nature...


Or being used to create an unexpected pop in traditional pieces.


Room by Maureen Footer.

Fun right? I found a few more that you can see online on flickr.

So, what do you think about incorporating a little neon in your decor? Personally, I've always loved a little chartreuse, buuuuut... I'm not sure if it works for me. However, I will say this. I found this photo of fashion designer Maria Cornejo showing off a fabulous example of how neon can be subtle (if that's possible), classy, and very well done... designers, take note!


All rooms via Living Etc, Domino, and PointClickHome.