Serendipitous Gardening

This was supposed to be a post on my love for conservatories. How I love the architecture of these stunning spaces because they allow you to see the bare bones of the building... just glass and metal rising all around you.


The Bronx Botanical Gardens Enid A. Haupt Conservatory (via Flickr.)



Belle Isle Conservatory, Detroit MI. (via Flickr.)

How they are full of contrasts. That feeling of being, at once, indoors and out. The wildness of plants growing all around you, knowing, of course, that they are actually perfectly kept in this magical space...


The Conservatory at Longwood Gardens, Pennsylvania (via Flickr.)

And, how no matter where you are in the world, these spaces can make even the gaudiest, most bare, or dirtiest city spaces, absolutely beautiful...


The Conservatory at The Bellagio, Las Vegas (via Flickr.)

But, as I began my digging through hundreds of photos, I started seeing more and more orangeries as well as conservatories. Why had I not thought to include them in my search!?


Typically reserved for a section of large estates, orangeries could built as a part of the home, creating beautiful light filled spaces to capture sunshine in the winter.


I love the idea of having a small orangerie attached to the house! I would definitely use it as my escape during the coldest months. The classic architecture and floor-to-ceiling windows might be second only to my love of churches... which is why stumbling upon this amazing site during my search made me swoon...


This site is completely dedicated to abandoned buildings and has some absolutely haunting images.


See? Churches. I love them.

I poked around the site a bit more, then continued my digging for more inspiring gardens and orangeries, which is how I found myself at my final destination...


I think I could settle in here for a while, don't you? La Madone is a beautiful home in Luberon, in Provence. Won't you come inside?


The kitchen.


The salon in one of the apartments available to rent.


The pool for sweet summer lounging.


A bedroom for long afternoon naps.


And, of course, the orangerie that let me to it in the first place. *sigh* Sweet serendipity! I can't wait to see where you'll take me next.