Style (E)scapes: Q+A With Lucky Editor, Elise Loehnen

Last February, I was miraculously featured on the pages of Lucky Magazine, and I have Elise Loehnen to thank. Well, now I owe her double, because this stylin' Editor at Large is about to share some favorite finds and shops with you all in little coco+kelley mini-interview!

*Q: You write the StyleSteals blog for Lucky Magazine - what are your top 5 picks for this season that are a steal of a deal?
*1. For my job - which is to write our Shopping Trips, which are guides to the best boutiques in various cities around the world - I walk a lot. A lot, a lot. Which means that comfortable flats are key. While I’ve determined, via a pie chart, that I absolutely get major cost-per-wear value out of my Sigerson Morrison flats, they’re still expensive, so this summer I will be sinking my shoe budget into:

A. Nike Air Jordans in all grey, coming this June. They can’t be beat comfort-wise, and I think they’re super-chic, too.

B. Besides their do-good appeal (for every pair purchased Toms gives a pair to a child in need), they’re made of breathable canvas, and come in hundreds of colors. I like this army green shade best.

C. DV sandals (Dolce Vita’s more affordable diffusion line) wear really well—and they’re affordable enough that I don’t feel bad if I have to toss them at the end of the summer. I like the colorful huarache vibe of these.

*2. J.Crew Buttondowns: I troll the men’s department for buttondowns - they come in awesome patterns and colors and you can wash and wear them, which saves buckets of money at the cleaners. Online, you can snag XS sizes (sadly, not available in the stores). They’re long enough to cover the lower back, and still a little bit roomy, in a very sexy way. I usually roll up the sleeves and belt them.
*3. Fetish necklaces: While the real deal - carved by Zuni artisans - can cost thousands, I love layering cheaper iterations of fetish necklaces. They’re colorful - which means that they go with anything - and fun, plus the little animals are super cute, and are all theoretically endowed with special powers (if you go in for that particular thing).
*4. Colorful patent belts! I try to ensure that my waist is always defined, since it’s the simplest way to give myself a flattering shape (particularly in more blouse-y tops). I have a hundred million belts, from beaded options that I bought in the kids section of Spirit of the Red Horse (you’ll find them in airports across the country) to stretchy elastic versions that I snap up by the dozen in vintage shops. I get the most use out of patent belts, though, since they’re a great way to add a shot of color AND texture. Forever 21 always has awesome options for under $10.

* 5. Madewell jeans, which you sadly can’t buy online. I like their colorful cropped styles, though I tend to gravitate to black jeans (flattering) and soft greys (a great counterpoint to color).

*Q: I'm loving the Spring Wish List on Luckymag.com. If you could splurge on one piece for the spring, what would it be?
A cropped leather and linen jacket (as soft and cozy as a cashmere cardigan) from Gary Graham - which would be perfect over sweet spring dresses and flowy tops. It’s one of those pieces that makes everything look ineffably cooler (and tougher).

*Q: You can only shop at three stores for the rest of your life (I know, it's a painful thought), which three would you choose for your wardrobe?

Ouch! So keeping geographical diversity in mind...

Albertine in New York because Kyung has an exquisite eye for unique pieces (vintage and emerging talent) and won’t let anyone walk out of the store with something that doesn’t fit exactly right. She’s also great at suggesting pieces I would never, ever think to wear. And because of this, the pieces I’ve bought there are pieces I tend to wear all the time. I’m very grateful for that.

Desiree of Des Kohan in Los Angeles also has a stylist’s eye, and picks under-represented, really unique designers. When I shot her store for the Los Angeles shopping guide she told me that she’s never had a sale. And I’m inclined to believe her—it’s the sort of store where you go for something important and special

I’m also pretty smitten with the Parisian chain The Kooples. They opened something like 22 stores in under three months and can literally be found - in duplicate - in every arrondissement. I think it grates on the French, but I’m a huge fan of their ubiquitousness since it makes it pretty convenient to snag something on the way back to the airport!

It was started by the Elicha brothers, who come from the Comptoir des Cotonniers family, and they clearly have a good grasp of retail. The stores are very, very signature (down to the scent and the signage) and all of the pieces are sharply tailored, with a rock-n-roll/school uniform aesthetic. I want everything in the collection, from the shawl-neck cardigans to the sweater dresses. And the jeans are perfect: I bought three pairs.

*Q: Any favorite Spring collections?

Hmmmm...I’m really all over the map. I do however, seem to be fiercely loyal to specific brands that have nailed the fit for my particular figure (sort of ‘50s-ish). I love Gary Graham, Ports 1961, and Mayle (sad)...

*Q:What's been your favorite spring editorial at Lucky, and why?

I loved the story about monochromatic, deeply-feminine looks in March issue (p. 166). I tend to avoid trends, but I am seriously considering working an all-white/ivory wardrobe this summer. So crisp, so fresh, so easy to get dressed when you’re just working in one color family! Just because I can’t help myself (over-accessorizing is my trademark), I would add some bright shoes and necklaces - but the otherwise neutral hues would mitigate their impact!

*Q:What's the one spring trend you've seen that has you rolling your eyes?

Anything too complicated and difficult-to-wear - it bums me out when clothes wear people. Being comfortable is always flattering. So, bodysuits fall into that category (how do you go to the bathroom?), neon leggings...

That last answer had me giggling - I remember wearing bodysuits in jr. high. NOT FUN! I am so in love with the shops you chose Elise, and I'm filing them away for my next travels to Paris, LA and NYC! By the way, darlins, there's one more question Elise answered that I'm saving for later, so stay tuned - you won't want to miss this peek into the closets at Lucky Mag!