(Show)Room of the Week: Hickory Chair

On my visit to North Carolina last week, the part I was looking forward to most was seeing the Hickory Chair showroom in High Point. I had no idea how much I would absolutely love the whole experience, mostly due to the tour led by Creative Director, Ron Fiore, whose muses came from one well-dressed woman and a favorite French boutique...

The front area of the showroom is a stunner. (Of course, my camera battery died before I could go back and get a great overall shot of the space, but let's focus on the story behind the design here, shall we?) I think you all know how much my interiors can be inspired by fashion, but to hear this from someone who is actually applying it in his work was amazing.

As Ron explained to the small group of us, muses can come from anywhere. One day while at Barneys, an elegant woman caught his eye. She was wearing a crisp white shirt, perfectly tailored black trousers, classic heels and a patterned coat. Her look was pristine and incredibly well put-together. The topper was a perfectly colored green bag that popped against the styled ensemble. Hence, this space was born...

Gorgeously tailored pieces with the absolute perfect shade of green. One of my favorite pieces was this bamboo tray and table. (When lifted, the top of the table is a woven wicker and quite usable!) I'm guessing it appealed to me for the usual reason - it was a surprisingly warm and organic piece amongst such polished elegance.

Moving inward from that space, we come upon this area...

Royal purples with pops of orange. An unexpected combination, but surprisingly warm, don't you think? Ron's muse here is a Flamant - a Belgian company whose reinvention of Classicism is apparent in their showrooms in Paris and across Europe. Beyond this initial concept, however, Ron wanted to combine the richness of "plum and bittersweet" with natural tones and textures of linen to create a chic but comforting style, and evoke a sense of optimism. I think it's working!

The orange carried into an adjoining room that was just as warm and cozy. A side note - the flowers put out for Market were at their end - dead leaves and dying petals everywhere. I actually found it kind of cool - don't we all leave our flowers out way past their prime?

On with the tour though, because next room literally had me gasping...
The only way I can describe the gem that is this space is understated grandeur. Beautiful forms, shapes, lines, fabrics - all by Suzanne Kasler - but nothing was too overdone. I wasn't afraid to sit on the chairs (which I added to my wishlist long ago). And that desk. OH, the DESK! Brass detailing on the curves? I swooned. I wish I had captured more of it for you! But... I didn't. So let's talk more detail...

When was the last time you got excited about a wingback. A wingback people! One of the most classic and could-be-boring pieces out there, and yet they found a way to reinvent it with simple upholstery and nailhead detail. Notice the way the fabric has been used to create lines that take your eye throughout the piece. Even on the back. Genius.

As I think I noted in my factory tour album, I could not get enough of the grey finish and gold hardware combo. This armoire was no exception! Simply gorgeous.

Loved this Suzanne Kasler inspiration board. Notice the photo in the left corner? Yes, it's that quatrefoil chair again!

Now, on with the tour...

The next big room was this huge beach inspired space - very Hamptons glam. Of course I was drooling over the grey stripes (The fabric is Kravet, by the way. Yes, I knew you were going to ask.) and the second I saw the mirrored armoire I remembered posting on it two years ago! And yes, I still love it - especially because it comes in the form of a bar as well!

A quick peek into the fabric room...
I didn't even go in because I knew I'd get lost for hours. Instead, I discovered this inspired area...

Thomas O'Brien is my hero. I never realize how masculine my tastes can run until I see a well done space like this. I've got a serious thing for menswear inspired patterns like pinstripes and herringbones...

Mr. O'Brien does not disappoint in this area. You can barely tell from the photo, but the brown fabric was woven with metallic thread - a weakness of mine. I wanted to take this one home with me! The herringbone pattern in the desk chair is subtle, which makes is perfect in my eyes.
By the way - Thomas is speaking in Portland today at Parker Furniture, and I am so sorry to be missing it! If you are in the area, I hope you go!

Finally, one last piece from this collection...

These bookshelves recapture something that seems to have become a bit lost in modern furniture - the ability to serve multiple purposes. I loved the idea of framing a sofa with these units to create extra storage, and also section off an area of a room. While they do stand on their own, you can also stack them upon eachother - an especially cool concept when done in contrasting finishes.

There was so much more that I could have shared with you, but these were the highlights. I hope you found your own bits of inspiration in the stories and pieces too!