Style (E)scapes: Shopping at Sunday Brunch

Some of you may remember the shop Sunday Brunch from when I posted on this gorgeous number. Well, after that little post, owner Judy Kou emailed me to introduce herself, and I knew right away I'd want her to be one of the shop contributors for this week. I've invited her to talk about her aesthetic and share with us her favorite picks for spring out of the store.

My background, in the traditional sense, is not in fashion or design. Quite the opposite. Coming from a background in science, my love for fashion and dresses was a bit oppressed. I definitely didn't have anyone to discuss color and cut and fabric with in my Chemistry classes. After a lot of experience, time, schooling, living, I came to a crossroads in my life: Medicine or doing something that made me happy, I finally had enough courage to choose the latter. Thus Sunday Brunch was born.

My style advice to women is pretty simple: take the time to dress up and wear what makes you feel good. However, it really helps to understand your body type and to be honest with yourself. Some styles are going to fit better than others! The best part about running the shop is being able to speak with customers and discuss their specific situations and help them find the perfect dress. I'm not saving lives here, but it sure feels good.

When buying for the season, I look for dresses that are a bit out of the ordinary in color or shape or design, something that makes it pop. I also gravitate towards styles that are structured and have a waist, but once in a while a loose fit will catch my eye. I shop for the girly-girl in me. The one who likes to do twirls, read books with happy endings and have a good conversation over expensive Scotch. But that's just me. Every woman has her own style and her own story. I am a firm believer that your story gets better if you're wearing a good dress.

Judy's Top Styles for the Season from Sunday Brunch

*1. Heidi Merrick's Aunt Judy Dress: Heidi's designs really reflect my personal aesthetic. If I had to wear only one designer for the rest of my life (may this never happen to me!) it would be her. This summer, the Aunt Judy dress is going to be my WOW dress. First of all, the color - I think people will see me coming from three city blocks away. In a place like New York, one needs to stand out!

Secondly, the fabric. The dress is rather sheer, but 1) This allows me to wear and show off any one of my amazing slips or pretty bra sets that I acquired during my stint as a lingerie expert, and 2) The lightness of the silk chiffon is a blessing on a hot summer day, letting the breeze come through. A convenience masked by the elegance of the gossamer-like fabric and the femininity of the ruffles. I'm all about multi-taskers.
*2. Lorick Bird Dress: This is a wonderful example of a seemingly simple dress, but something about it makes the observer look twice. Lorick is the master at doing this. Simple and classic, but there's always a tweak in the design that speaks volumes about the gal lucky enough to be donning one of these dresses. There are no less than four different types of fabric and print on the garment, all super textured and rich. The semi-crossover off-the-shoulder design is unique, but done in a way that is not loud or obvious. It's subtle, but sultry, and kind of artsy for lack of a better word.
*3. Kloset Grand Entrance Dress: From the color, to the one-shoulder, to the cut, this dress is for the woman who wants to make a statement. I love it. I get that only certain body shapes and personalities can pull it off, but you know what? Good for those girls. I like this dress for its sheer awesomeness. One-shoulder dresses went bad a long time ago, but now they're making a comeback and this dress by Kloset is an excellent specimen because of the volume on the one "sleeve" rather than a single strap. Not to mention the way the ruffles continue down and around in a drape across the body. Perfect for a gala, a banquet, a party or just a good night on the town!
*4. Mimi Turner Floral Dressing Gown: My inner hippie/goddess is very attracted to the essence of this dress. I don't choose strapless numbers for myself often because I feel like I'm always tugging or adjusting. But this one is easy and breezy. The genius of this dress lies in its simplicity. Long dresses seem counter-intuitive on a hot day, but not with a cool sleek silk like this one. This dress is easily dressed up or down with a change of make-up and shoes. Again, a multi-tasker.
*5. Yoana Baraschi Massai Ink Necklace Dress: This one is a newcomer to the shop. I surprised myself when I first saw it and fell in love. I'm not sure I can explain it. Sure, the hand-beaded necklace is gorgeous and amazing, a shout-out to the intricacies of Egyptian ornamentation. But I'm not usually one for snazzy this or that on my dress. It must be the contrast of the beaded collar with the plain but rich color of the dress's fabric and the way it simply ties...like a sack. This is the best looking sack I've ever seen. And it's an easy fit for most body types, loose and flattering for those warm summer days.

Thank you Judy, for sharing your insights on fashion and some gorgeous gorgeous dresses, that I will be drooling over for months! And, because so many of you have emailed me for advice on starting your own businesses, I have more of Judy's inspiring story to come soon..!