A Little OT

Forgive me as I go OT (off-topic) today. Btw, I have to thank one of my favorite bloggers, Decorno, for adding OT to my blogger lingo. Anyway, here we go. We'll start with the back story. I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

Tonight I had the pleasure of meeting the writer behind Decorno as well as three other prolific Seattle-based bloggers, Not Martha, Shelteriffic and MirrorMirror at Velocity Art & Design Center's monthly meet-up called The Lab.



Inspired by a series of design meet-ups organized by Grace of Design Sponge, uber talented (and really nice) owner of Velocity, John Tusher, has kept the community gatherings alive at his fabulous store. If you live in the Seattle area, go. Now.




Velocity Art & Design Center in Seattle

Not only did I get to hear insights from some amazingly talented bloggers who I read religiously, but I was also graciously given the opportunity to talk about a really cool event for small business owners that is happening in Seattle on June 11. I think it is so cool in fact that I'm giving away two free tickets!

Did you know that of the 10.4 million women-owned businesses less than 230,000 businesses have achieved $1 million in annual sales? I sure didn't. Or that if more women grew their businesses, they would create over 7 million new jobs? It's seriously amazing. Check out this recent Newsweek article for more scary stats.


If you've ever thought about starting or growing a business and you live in the Northwest, you have a really cool one-time opportunity for some inspiration, know-how, and networking.





On June 11, Make Mine a Million $ Business is holding a day long conference at the Seattle Center Fisher Pavilion.


The program has proven highly effective in other parts of the country in helping woman business owners grow their businesses. Nell Merlino, founder of Take Your Daughters to Work Day as well as the program below, believes that future economic growth in this country will be the result of the success of woman-owned businesses. The June 11 event will provide useful tools on how to grow a business as well as be a terrific networking opportunity.

Here are a few quick facts:


  • Full day event on June 11 at the Seattle Center Fisher Pavilion

  • Cost $75

  • Keynote speaker Governor Chris Gregoire

  • 500 women business-owners from five state region

  • Experts in financing, marketing, technology, business software and insurance inspiring women to grow their businesses

  • Local Sponsors include Biznik.com and The Crave Company

  • Opportunity to win prizes from JetBlue, Dell, The Seattle Storm, Woodland Park Zoo, Experience Music Project, Seattle Art Museum and Pacific Science Center and more


To register for the event click here


But wait, there's more! I am holding a contest!

I have two free tickets for the June 11 Make Mine a Million event to give away. Send me an email between Thursday May 29 and Thursday June 5 and you'll be entered in a drawing for free admission (normally $75!).

I hope you'll spread the word about the event far and wide. And I hope I'll see some of you out there in the blogosphere live and in full effect on June 11!