Musical Chairs

As a lover of dining rooms in general (ie, I'm Italian and we eat a LOT of food), this corner of the home has always meant a lot to me. Never being one to purchase a whole set of anything, I naturally gravitate towards the mix and match aesthetic of quirky little chairs paired with a simple table...


LOVE the rustic table with chairs to match. And I like that they set one side of the table with one style, and left the garden chairs on the other. A nice take on the mix and match theme. This is definitely my style. Via PointClickHome.



A very eclectic mix of chairs at this table, it's a great way to highlight famous designs from years past.

A more recent take on this trend is painting all the chairs one color to create a certain uniformity amongst the different styles. I really love this idea - especially when it's done in a way that really highlights the shape of each chair. In this case, I think the more different the better!



A perfect example from Elle Decor. The black against all the light wood and white table and walls truly shows of the individual pieces, while still creating continuity.

Another thought? Two accent chairs at each end of the table that are the most unexpected choices - like this...


I think this works for two reasons - the height of the chairs are the same, and the style of the surroundings is simple enough to support a unique choice for the end chairs.

Another take on this theme...


This works for the same reason - the white brings it all together and the height is the same, while the style of the room remains fairly simplistic.

Now for my new favorite twist on this whole mix and match chair theme...



The single, solitary, statement chair. It's hot. No really - HOT. I love how the red pops in this room. It really gives it a little personality and adds to the saturated colors. (Via Domino.)



A more subtle take on this style, the Kartell Ghost Chair almost disappears in this room. And how much do you love the furry (and totally impractical) fabric for the other three white chairs? While I prefer a warmer style for my own table, this one is very modern chic.

As for me - I have two chairs at my table that I love... and I'm on the hunt for four more to mix it up with! I think I have a weekend project on my hands...