The Pink Elephant in the Room

As you may remember, when I started this little adventure called home renovation, I began with a watermelon pink livingroom. See Exhibit A.

Exhibit A




At this very moment the pink is being replaced by the most perfect white ever. (It must be the most perfect because I looked through a bazillion shades of white to pick it out - so therefore it is perfect). You will see the reveal of my now beautifully neutral space later this week.

However, one pink stain will remain. My radiator. My 3 foot long, cast iron, 250lb, 100+ year old radiator. Its a gorgeous piece, as you can see. The seashell details are lovely.




But the thing is still bright pink. Not exactly the look I'm going for. Radiators are functional, but they can also be decorative, and I want my radiator to be a cool accent in my space, like these.



via apartment therapy

I love how this yellow radiator pops against the blue and pulls out similar hues in the painting above it, as if it were a piece of furniture intentionally put there.




via emmasblog

Here the radiator is actually functioning as a shelf, but simultaneously recedes into the background, seamlessly blending into the rest of the decor.




via absolutelybeautifulthings

Going antique calls out the age and grandeur of a radiator. I think it adds wonderful character and charm like this radiator does to what would otherwise be a pretty plain wall.

However, it apparently costs a small fortune to have a radiator removed, repainted, and reinstalled. So right now I will continue to live with the giant reminder of my watermelon pink.

If anyone out there in the blogosphere has suggestions about how to deal with my pink behemoth, I would greatly appreciate the help!